Ba-chan and I made it through two weeks on our own

River crabs on the wall
River crabs on the wall

Jiro returns tomorrow after a two-week trip to Portland for a show at Butters Gallery. It sounds like the opening went well and the show will be up for the month of July. I think I’ll be able to see it when I go home at the end of July. I can’t wait.

gas pump slots- once you pump your gas, you get a chance to get a free car wash or a few yen off per gallon
gas pump slots- once you pump your gas, you get a chance to get a free car wash or a few yen off per gallon

This time I was able to manage taking care of his mother without a whole lot of stress. She seems to be adjusting to me and I to her. I have systems in place for meal preparation and know what things need to be taken care of daily and which things I can deal with when I have time. I constantly check my phone to make sure there are no calls from her, but I am not sure she could figure out how to call me if she needed to contact me. These two weeks did go by smoothly and it will be nice to have Jiro back to share the burden.

Drew and me at Usuki Sekibutsu
Drew and I at Usuki Sekibutsu

Part of the reason that the time went by quickly was that my nephew, Drew, came from California for a short visit. He came with two friends and we spent the day driving along the coast and then visited the Usuki Stone Buddhas which I hadn’t been to in over 20 years. When I last visited, the statues were in pretty bad shape, but beginning in the 1980’s they did extensive restoration work and the statues have been repaired and are more protected from the elements. It is a very beautiful site with 4 clusters of stone Buddhas- 59 sculptures. They were carved about between the 12th and 14th centuries and the quality of the work is outstanding.

I did some more solo hiking up in the hills north of here. There is a large Shinto Shrine (Shakuma Shrine) on the top of a mountain with views of the coast and the mountains. I once again realized pretty far up the trail that there were no other people around at all and should probably have let someone know where I was. Of course, nothing went wrong, but I think I should probably be a little more cautious.

IMG_1435I think the 400-step steep staircase freaked me out a bit. Or maybe the tigers…

tiger in the woods
tiger in the woods

Work continues to be a lot of fun when I am in the schools and unbearable when I am in the office. I am working with a friend on a cookbook translation. I am enjoying the work and the conversation. I’m beginning to get some ideas about next steps. I leave for Oregon on the 24th.

Lots happening before then, will try to get in one more post before then.

3 thoughts on “Ba-chan and I made it through two weeks on our own

  1. Charissa July 14, 2009 / 12:51 am

    Wow, 400 steps! Breathtaking…
    Jiros show was really wonderful, especially the meteorite pieces. Looking forward to your visit!

  2. Hannah July 19, 2009 / 4:47 am

    Dear Kate,
    Please get in touch when you are in Portland. Maybe we can do a group get together so you can see a bunch of people at once and not be tugged in too many directions at once.
    Looking forward to seeing you –

    • katezawa July 21, 2009 / 4:44 am

      I’ll be back in Portland Friday evening and should have time to hang out a bit. Give me a call or send an email and let’s see what we can work out.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s